Vietnam, Cambodia issue joint statement emphasizing stronger trade

By Ngoc Anh, Thanh Danh   November 9, 2022 | 07:30 am PT
Vietnam, Cambodia issue joint statement emphasizing stronger trade
Vietnam Prime Minister Pham Minh Chinh and Cambodia Prime Minister Hun Sen shake hands in Phnom Penh, Cambodia on November 8, 2022. Photo by the Vietnamese Government Portal
Vietnam and Cambodia issued a joint statement Wednesday as Prime Minister Pham Minh Chinh concluded his official visit, emphasizing the strengthening of bilateral trade and supply chain connections.

The two countries wished to promote bilateral relations under the motto of "good neighborliness and friendship, comprehensive cooperation and long-term sustainability," the statement said.

Chinh and his Cambodian counterpart Hun Sen agreed to respect each other's independence, sovereignty and territorial integrity, not to interfere in each other's internal affairs and to resolve all issues arising between the two countries by peaceful means.

The two countries expressed determination to further promote economic cooperation in terms of infrastructure as well as in institutions and policies.

They also stressed their commitment to promoting bilateral trade, effectively implementing the newly-signed Border Trade Agreement and the Memorandum of Understanding on developing and connecting border trade infrastructure.

The two sides agreed they would promote linkages between supply chains and production; and create favorable conditions for investors and businesses from one country to operate in the other.

Vietnam - Cambodia trade turnover in the first 9 months of this year reached US$8.45 billion, up 16.7 year-on-year.

Vietnam is the biggest foreign direct investor in Cambodia among ASEAN members, and among Cambodia’s top five biggest foreign direct investors.

On defense and security issues, the two countries have agreed to strengthen cooperation on the principle of not allowing any hostile forces to use their territory to harm the security and interests of the other.

They emphasized the importance of cooperation in citizen protection, cooperation in combating cross-border crimes such as human trafficking, drug transportation and smuggling, and cooperation in ensuring network security.

The two countries also expressed satisfaction with the completion of the demarcation of about 84% of the land border and commended efforts to find mutually acceptable solutions for the remaining 16%.

The leaders of Vietnam and Cambodia agreed to continue cooperation and coordination within multilateral frameworks like the United Nations and ASEAN.

The two sides affirmed the need to promote peace, security, stability, safety and freedom of navigation and overflight in the East Sea, internationally known as South China Sea, and settle disputes by peaceful means in accordance with international law, including the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea 1982 (UNCLOS) and the Declaration on the Conduct of Parties in the South China Sea (DOC).

They stressed the need to not threaten or use force against each other but rather work towards early completion of the Code of Conduct of behavior in the South China Sea (COC).

After his official visit to Cambodia (November 8-9), Prime Minister Pham Minh Chinh will attend the 40th and 41st ASEAN Summits and related events on November 10-13.

This is the first official visit of PM Chinh to Cambodia and also the first time he is attending ASEAN Summit in person after the Covid-19 pandemic.

go to top