Vietnam PM receives Cambodia counterpart for official visit

By Vu Anh   December 10, 2023 | 08:34 pm PT
Vietnam PM receives Cambodia counterpart for official visit
Prime Minister Pham Minh Chinh (L) and his Cambodian counterpart Hun Manet at a reception ceremony at the Presidential Palace in Hanoi, Vietnam, Dec. 11, 2023. Photo by VnExpress/Vu Anh
Prime Minister Pham Minh Chinh on Monday helmed a reception ceremony in Hanoi for his Cambodian counterpart Hun Manet during his two-day official visit.

The visit is Hun Manet's first to Vietnam since he assumed his position as prime minister in August.

After the ceremony, the two leaders will hold a dialogue and witness the signing of certain documents between the two countries. The Cambodian PM is expected to meet with other high-ranking Vietnamese leaders and participate in certain activities.

Hun Manet, 46, is the first Cambodian to graduate from U.S. Military Academy West Point. He held the positions of Deputy Commander-in-Chief of the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces and Commander of the Royal Cambodian Army.

Vietnam and Cambodia established diplomatic relations on June 24, 1967.

Bilateral trade turnover reached more than US$10.57 billion last year, an increase of nearly 11% against 2021. Two-way turnover in the first nine months this year was $6.5 billion.

Vietnam is currently Cambodia's third largest trading partner and the neighboring country’s largest trading partner in ASEAN.

Vietnam has 205 ongoing investment projects in Cambodia with a total registered capital of $2.94 billion, ranking number one in ASEAN as well as in the top five countries with the largest total direct investment in Cambodia.

Cambodia ranks second among 79 countries and territories in which Vietnam has invested abroad.

The two nations have continued to boost longstanding defense and security cooperation. They have completed 84% of their border demarcation and marker erection project while continuing to negotiate the remaining 16%.

go to top