Hanoi children injured when Mid-Autumn bonfire goes wrong

By Gia Chinh   September 30, 2023 | 06:46 am PT
Three children in Hanoi suffered from burns when a Mid-Autumn Festival bonfire got out of hand on Friday.

A group of people in Van Binh Commune, Thuong Tin District celebrated the festival by lighting a bonfire in a yard. Following a lion dance, the heads of the mascots were thrown into the bonfire as hundreds of locals and their children watched.

Several cans of gasoline were also thrown into the fire to help the flames burn stronger. But a gasoline can bounced out of the bonfire, causing the flames to spread to a group of children who were standing around 3-5m away from the fire.

A can of gasoline bounces off a bonfire, spreading the flames to a group of children during a Mid-Autumn Festival celebration in Hanoi's Thuong Tin District, September 29, 2023. Video by H.N.

A representative of the Thuong Tin District People’s Committee said three children, aged 10-12, were burned during the incident. All have been hospitalized.

go to top