Indonesia lose Olympics ticket to Guinea

By Hoang Nguyen    MAY. 9, 2024

Guinea beat Indonesia 1-0 Thursday to snatch the last ticket to men's football at the 2024 Olympic Paris this summer.

In a tense and dramatic encounter at the Olympic playoffs, Guinea clinched the final ticket to men's football at the 2024 Paris with a hard-fought victory over Indonesia, thanks to a solitary goal from Ilaix Moriba.

The game began with both sides displaying contrasting tactics. Guinea relied on their physical prowess, seeking opportunities from set-pieces and corners, while Indonesia opted for a defensive approach, countering swiftly when possible. Guinea soon found a breakthrough when Indonesia's captain Witan Sulaeman fouled inside the box in the 28th minute, leading to a penalty. Ilaix Moriba stepped up and calmly converted, sending goalkeeper Ernando Ari the wrong way to make it 1-0.

Indonesia looked for an immediate response through Pratama Arhan's left-wing run, but his effort was comfortably saved by Guinea goalkeeper Soumaila Sylla. A defensive lapse almost allowed Guinea to double their lead before the break, but Algassime Bah couldn't capitalize. The first half ended 1-0 in favor of Guinea.

Guinea made a substitution after the break, while Indonesia upped their attacking tempo, coming close through a header that narrowly missed the target. Despite Indonesia's improvement, Guinea remained dangerous, with Lamine Soumah almost finding a second goal in the 54th minute. His shot was heroically blocked by an Indonesia defender.

In the 73rd minute, Guinea earned a second penalty after a clumsy challenge from Alfeandra Dewangga. However, Bah struck the post, keeping Indonesia's hopes alive. The match took a dramatic turn moments later when Indonesia coach Shin Tae-yong was shown a red card for an animated exchange with the referee. It took him several minutes to leave the pitch, further disrupting Indonesia's momentum.

Despite losing their coach, Indonesia pressed forward, attacking diligently but lacking precision. Guinea held firm, frustrating Indonesia's attempts to equalize. Eight minutes of stoppage time only heightened the tension, but Guinea withstood the pressure to secure a memorable win.

Indonesia will have to wait another four years to fulfill their Olympic dreams.

Paris Olympics playoff: Guinea 1-0 Indonesia

go to top