Mass food poisoning at Nha Trang school caused by Salmonella bacteria

By Bui Toan, Le Phuong, Le Nga   November 21, 2022 | 05:02 pm PT
Mass food poisoning at Nha Trang school caused by Salmonella bacteria
Students from Ischool Nha Trang suffering food poisoning are treated at Khanh Hoa General Hospital, November 18, 2022. Photo by VnExpress/Bui Toan
Health officials confirmed over 600 students of Ischool in Nha Trang in the central province of Khanh Hoa were poisoned with the Salmonella bacteria that is sensitive to most antibiotics.

Khanh Hoa Health Department announced the cause four days after the mass food poisoning case on November 17. Among the victims, a 6-year-old boy died on Sunday en route to a HCMC hospital.

Doctor Doan Uyen Vy, an anti-poison expert of Cho Ray Hospital in HCMC, told VnExpress that Salmonella is a common culprit in many food poisoning cases from mild to severe.

It can cause sepsis, multi-organ failure and death with symptoms including fever, headache, vomiting and diarrhea. This bacterium is always found in many foods such as eggs and raw vegetables.

From the school’s lunch menu, Vy said the students had been poisoned after eating the sauce made from eggs or raw vegetables.

The Khanh Hoa Department of Health 648 of the school's more than 900 students were admitted to different medical facilities after suffering food poisoning from the school lunch last Friday. 261 children were later sent home for further monitoring while 176 others were discharged in stable health.

As of Monday afternoon 211 were still under treatment.

Pham Huu Binh, principal of Ischool in Nha Trang, met the children's parents on Sunday and admitted responsibility.

The meals at the school are provided by a business household in Xuong Huan Ward, Nha Trang.

go to top