VnExpress International
The most read Vietnamese newspaper
Get Newsletter| Contact us |
Follow us on       

Hanoi cancels Lunar New Year events over Covid fears

By Vo Hai   January 21, 2022 | 06:04 am PT
Hanoi cancels Lunar New Year events over Covid fears
People attend a countdown event near Hoan Kiem (Sword) Lake in downtown Hanoi, December 31, 2020. Photo by VnExpress/Giang Huy
Hanoi will not organize any celebratory activity with large crowds for the upcoming Tet or Lunar New Year festival.

Thee municipal People’s Committee also announced Friday that not just public events, the capital will also suspend all unnecessary large gatherings during Tet, the most important Vietnamese festival, falls early February this year.

It advised that residents continue to adhere to pandemic prevention and control measures. Elderly people and those with underlying medical conditions should to limit participation in crowded activities, it said.

It said that the Hanoi Department of Culture and Sports will coordinate with related agencies to organize the third World Cup qualifying match between Vietnam and China on Feb. 1, ensuring security and safety, strictly complying with Covid prevention measures.

Hanoi had previously approved a proposal for 20,000 fans to watch the game live.

The city had already announced cancellation of the usual Lunar New Year's Eve firework display at the Thong Nhat Park.

Hanoi has recorded around 3,000 new daily Covid-19 cases in the past two weeks, and consistently topped the country in the daily tally. It has recorded nearly 103,000 Covid-19 cases in the fourth coronavirus wave so far.

 
Enjoy unlimited articles and premium content with only $1.99 Subscribe now
 
go to top