Missing Saigon woman’s body found dumped in plastic bag

By Dinh Van, Quoc Thang   February 14, 2024 | 02:05 am PT
Missing Saigon woman’s body found dumped in plastic bag
Police block off and examine the scene where the body of a 26-year-old woman was found inside a nylon bag in HCMC's Thu Duc City. Photo by Minh Khang
Checking a roadside nylon bag in the High-Tech Park of HCMC's Thu Duc City, police discovered the body parts of a 25-year-old woman who went missing several days ago.

On Tuesday, police in Thu Duc arrested a 26-year-old man, a native of Tien Giang, who rented a room next to the woman’s room, in Tang Nhon Phu B Ward, to investigate the murder.

The suspect admitted he had killed the victim.

He said on Feb. 8, when he saw the woman alone and preparing to return home, he asked her to help carry his belongings.

While the victim wasn't paying attention, he attacked and murdered her and took some property.

He then dismembered the victim's body and dumped it. After committing the crime, he returned to his wife's hometown in Binh Dinh and hid until he was arrested.

On Tuesday morning, people living near a deserted road in the High-Tech Park discovered a nylon bag along the roadside with a strange smell and reported it to local police.

After arriving at the scene, police determined that inside the bag were body parts that had decomposed for many days.

Police suspected that the victim was a 25-year-old woman from Dong Nai who had been missing since Feb 7. She is a worker and rented a room to stay with her boyfriend from Phu Yen.

On Feb. 8, she texted her family in Cam My District of Dong Nai province, saying she had started preparing to return home to celebrate Tet.

However, the family waited until the next day and did not see her return and could not contact her.

Her boyfriend returned home a month and was unable to contact her.

Ahead of Lunar New Year’s Eve, he called his girlfriend's family and asked neighbors to check her room who found it was locked from the outside.

Over the past days, police extracted security cameras at the blocks of rented rooms and neighboring areas, but only recorded that the woman went into her room on Feb. 8 and did not come back out.

Thu Duc City Police are working with Ho Chi Minh City Police to clarify the suspect's testimony and determine the truth.

go to top