Vietnam recognizes 12 new national relics

By Viet Tuan   March 8, 2023 | 02:07 am PT
The Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism has just announced 12 new national relics, including the Tam Chuc Pagoda Complex, Truong Dinh Temple, and writer Nam Cao’s memorial house.
Vietnam recognizes 12 new national relics

The Tam Chuc Pagoda Complex is in Ba Sao Town in the northern Ha Nam Province. The complex has a total area of 5,100 hectares, which includes nearly 1,000 lakes and 3,000 hectares of rocky mountains, natural forests and valleys. The Tam Chuc Complex is surrounded by mountains on three sides, and in front is Tam Chuc Lake with six small mountains.

The ancient Tam Chuc Pagoda was built during the Dinh Dynasty, about 1,000 years ago. The pagoda has lately undergone the highest extent of reconstruction in Vietnam.

Photo by Pham Chieu

Vietnam recognizes 12 new national relics

On Giat Dau Mountain, But Hill, Kim Bang District in Ha Nam Province, there is a temple dedicated to the female general Le Chan.

General Le Chan was born in AD 20. She was one of the female generals that led Hai Ba Trung's army into battle to overthrow the Eastern Han Empire.

General Le Chan put an end to her life in July A.D. 43 by leaping from Giat Dau Mountain into the valley as she was on the verge of defeat. At the base of the mountain, locals set up an altar in her honor. Following that, a pagoda and temple were constructed in her memory.

There are currently four locations where Le Chan is worshiped: Quang Ninh, where she was born, Hai Phong, where she helped expand the land and recruited talents, Hanoi, where she set up a place for soldiers to practice wrestling, and Ha Nam, where her base was located and where she died.

Photo by Binh Nguyen

Vietnam recognizes 12 new national relics

Bat Canh Son Scenic Landscape Complex is in Tuong Linh Commune, Ha Nam Province.

Lord Trinh Doanh, who ruled northern Vietnam from 1740 to 1767, built a palace at Bat Canh Son in the 16th century to view the area's beautiful scenery, according to historian Phan Huy Chu. Previously, Bat Canh Son had eight pagodas and a shrine to worship the lord of the soil and the ground.

Together with numerous other pagodas, Bat Canh Son is home to the Tien Ong Temple, which was constructed during the reign of King Tran Nhan Tong (1278 -1293).

Photo courtesy of Ha Nam Department of Culture, Sports and Tourism

Vietnam recognizes 12 new national relics

In his hometown, in Dai Hoang Village (now known as Nhan Hau Village), in Ha Nam Province, a cemetery and memorial home were constructed to honor writer Nam Cao. The memorial area is 5,400 square meters and was completed in 2004.

Nam Cao (1915-1951), whose real name is Tran Huu Tri, was a famous realist writer in the first half of the 20th century in Vietnam. His works focused on the life of the impoverished intellects and poor farmers in rural areas during the war.

Photo courtesy of Ha Nam Department of Culture, Sports and Tourism

Vietnam recognizes 12 new national relics

The memorial to President Ho Chi Minh is on Ngoc Vung Island in the Van Don District of the northern Quang Ninh Province. Its total area is around 6.3 hectares, of which nearly 2.5 hectares are used for building.

President Ho Chi Minh paid a visit to the residents of Ngoc Vung Island on November 12, 1962. Subsequently, this location was transformed into a memorial site with gardens, fish ponds, and galleries.

Photo courtesy of Van Don District.

Vietnam recognizes 12 new national relics

The Pioneering Youth Volunteer Team for Central Work was founded in Yen Lang Commune, Thai Nguyen Province, near the base of Hong Mountain on Go Tho Hill. The Central Youth Volunteer Team, the forerunner of the Vietnamese Young Volunteers, was founded here on July 15, 1950, and had 225 members at the time. In 2002, in the same location where the Youth Volunteers team was founded, a traditional house and relic were built.

The northern province also had the Central Committee for Communications operation site (1947–1954), another national relic.

Photo courtesy of Thai Nguyen Newspaper

Vietnam recognizes 12 new national relics

The tomb and chapel of General Hoang Ke Viem can be found in Luong Ninh Commune, Quang Binh Province in central Vietnam.

Hoang Ke Viem (Hoang Ta Viem), born in 1820, was appointed to the role of officer in command with the rank of Quang Loc Tu Khanh after earning a bachelor's degree.

He served as a surveillance commissioner during the rule of King Tu Duc. After that, he was promoted to administrative commissioner of Thanh Hoa Province, and then to administration commissioner and province chief of Hung Yen. In 1863, he was governor of An-Tinh (now Nghe An and Ha Tinh Provinces).

As a result of numerous problems in northern Vietnam in 1870, the dynasty named Hoang Ke Viem as the military governor to put an end to the uprising.

In 1873, the French army attacked the citadel of Hanoi and other provinces in the Red River Delta, and Hoang Ke Viem was appointed the top military officer in the north to command and urge the defense.

In 1873, he worked with the Black Flag forces to beat the French army, killing F. Garnier in the fighting. Ten years later, he commanded the army and people of Hanoi for the second time to defeat a French attack in Cau Giay, which resulted in the death of Lt. Col. H. Riviere.

Hoang Ta Viem passed away at the age of 89 in 1909. His memorial church was built in 1937 but was destroyed in an American air raid. The church and mausoleum of the Hoang family were renovated in 1998.

Photo courtesy of Quang Ninh Newspaper

Vietnam recognizes 12 new national relics

The Ban Than, Hon Mang, Hon Dua islands are in Tam Hai Commune, Nui Thanh District, Quang Nam Province in central Vietnam. They are 80 kilometers from Hoi An.

The Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism also recognized Hao Kiet Temple in Vinh Thanh Commune, Nghe An Province as a national relic.

Photo by VNA

Vietnam recognizes 12 new national relics

The temple of national hero Truong Dinh is located in Tinh Khe Commune, Quang Ngai Province in central Vietnam.

Truong Dinh was born in 1820 in Quang Ngai. At the age of 24, he followed his father to the south, recruited farmers, and established a hamlet in the Tan An - Dinh Tuong area.

In 1854, Truong Dinh spent money recruiting the poor to establish the Gia Thuan Plantation. He was promoted to the position of deputy battalion commander, and then battalion commander. In February 1859, the French attacked the Gia Dinh Citadel, and Truong Dinh brought the plantation troops to fight against the enemy, establishing many victories.

In 1862, the dynasty signed the Nham Tuat Peace Treaty, handing three eastern provinces over to the French. It also assigned Truong Dinh to cancel his own troops and take the position of a lord in An Giang in southern Vietnam. However, Truong Dinh refused the order, proclaimed himself Binh Tay Dai Nguyen Soai - the leader of the army fighting the Western enemy, and continued to fight against the French.

In August 1864, the French army suddenly attacked the insurgents in Go Cong District, Tien Giang Province, causing Truong Dinh to be seriously injured. In order not to fall into the enemy's hands, he drew his sword and committed suicide. At that time, he was 44 years old. His body was interred in Tien Giang in the Mekong Delta, and in 1972, a temple honoring him was built in Go Cong Town.

After Truong Dinh passed away, the Hue court constructed a temple at Tu Cung village in his native Quang Ngai to honor him. The temple was damaged during the Vietnam War and was rebuilt in 2005.

Photo courtesy of Quangngaitv

Vietnam recognizes 12 new national relics

Ward 6 of Cao Lanh Town, Dong Thap Province, is the location of the assembly site for Vietnamese freedom fighters before they headed to the north in 1954.

On October 29, 1954, in Cao Lanh, the last group of cadres and soldiers in the south gathered here. Dong Thap Province and localities where officers and soldiers gathered in the north built a relic in 2017 to commemorate this occasion. It was completed two years later.

Photo courtesy of Dong Thap Museum

go to top