Young people in Hanoi hospitalized due to injuries from homemade firecrackers

By Minh An   January 3, 2023 | 11:39 pm PT
Young people in Hanoi hospitalized due to injuries from homemade firecrackers
An illustration photo of sparklers by Pexels
Several young people in Hanoi have been sent to the hospital due to injuries from homemade firecracker, which many light up for Tet that is less than a month away.

Doctor Nguyen Thai Ngoc Minh of the Le Huu Trac National Institute of Burns, said Monday that two burn cases were admitted to the hospital that day due to injuries from firecrackers. One of them, a 16-year-old teenager, had burns on 50% of his body and had to be put on a ventilator.

The other patient, a 17-year-old boy, had burns on 15% of his body, with the most severe burns on his face, neck, chest and arms. He is currently under intensive care.

Two days prior, a 15-year-old boy in the nearby Ninh Binh Province was also hospitalized with burns over 30% of his body, the most severe ones being on his face. His family said he made firecrackers himself, which exploded, setting his clothes aflame and causing the burns.

Another 16-year-old boy also had burns over 60% of his body, the fire burning off his hair, eyelashes and nose hair, while his neck, torso and limbs were also burned. The heat burned his respiratory system, sending him into a critical state, which required IV fluids, oxygen support and infection monitoring.

Doctors said that towards the end of every year that the number of firecracker-related accidents increases, mostly among young people aged 15-20. Despite a ban on firecrackers, some people still decide to make them themselves, leading to injuries.

"Firecrackers can be quite easily made, with only an instructional video and certain components needed," Minh said. "However, the risk is high and explosions are likely."

He added that in addition to the explosive power, firecrackers also contain toxic elements such as sulfur and phosphorus.

go to top