VnExpress International
The most read Vietnamese newspaper
Contact us |
Follow us on            instagram

Popcorn ordered online hospitalizes Hanoi woman, marijuana traces found

By Chi Le   December 5, 2022 | 05:01 pm PT
Popcorn ordered online hospitalizes Hanoi woman, marijuana traces found
A sample of a popcorn product containing marijuana as photographed at the Bach Mai Hospital in Hanoi. Photo courtesy of the hospital
A 56-year-old woman in Hanoi was hospitalized after vomiting and feeling dizzy upon consuming just two popcorn pieces, and tests revealed she had marijuana in her system.

The woman, who has not been named, was taken to the Bach Mai Hospital with dilated pupils and in delirium, doctor Nguyen Trung Nguyen, director of the hospital’s toxic management department, said Monday.

Her family said about an hour after the woman had eaten two pieces of popcorn that was ordered online by her child, she began to show symptoms of dizziness and vomiting. A urine test revealed the presence of THC, the psychoactive component of marijuana.

Doctors diagnosed her as suffering from food poisoning, and following treatment, she is now in intensive care.

Nguyen said it was the first time that the hospital has received a case of marijuana-related poisoning after consumption of popcorn. Previous cases of marijuana poisoning involved other food and snacks like cakes, biscuits and candies, he added.

Nguyen said shortcomings in the management of online goods have allowed narcotics-laced food products to spread quickly in the market.

"People should only purchase products with clear origins and trustworthy labels," he said.

In June, Hanoi police had seized certain types of narcotics being marketed as chocolate products that were publicly advertised on social media. Five people had been hospitalized after consuming them.

 
Enjoy unlimited articles and premium content with only $1.99
 
go to top